Archibald Flour Mill in the winter, from the Cannon River.  It is surrounded by frosted-over trees.
Archibald Flour Mill

The first settler of Dundas, James Irish, arrived in 1852. In 1857, John and George Archibald, the Scotch brothers, came from Canada looking for a good site for a new milling industry. Here, on Cannon River, was the water power, fertile soil, and nearby markets they needed. So they bought the land and laid out their village, naming it after their hometown of Dundas, Ontario (Canada). By 1879, the Archibald Firm was among the most successful mills in the country - even the world! Competing successfully with Minneapolis in the New York and Boston markets, they produced the famous D. flour. In fact, the Archibald Mill is notable for being the first mill in the United States to manufacture and market patent flour, the type which is almost universally produced today.

The distinguishing characteristics of our early-day citizens such as James Irish, H.M. Matteson, Larkin, Chester, Drake, Donaldson Bros., Bundy, Scoffield, and Taylor & Cheney were industry, energy, independence, and steadfast honesty. We, as citizens who follow them and live here in this village founded upon the rock of their characteristics, may well emulate their virtues.

Dundas is home to five sites on the National Register of Historic Places list:

The Historical Archibald Flour Mill

The Mill was a community center in the early days. Church services were held there, and it was even a refuge in case of an Indian attack. Fortunately, friendly relations were maintained between the settlers and Native Americans.

The Mill burned down on New Year's Eve in 1892. Rebuilding efforts began immediately, only to burn down again in 1914. The mill was rebuilt this time with a massive castle top. Eventually, the business started to decline and it was sold to a group from Minneapolis in 1930. They took down the castle top and left town, patents being sold to what is now General Mills.

Edward T. Archibald House


Home to Edward T. Archibald from 1867 to 1885, the Greek Revival frame house still stands on the corner of Hamilton and 2nd Streets.

Ault Store


One of the oldest buildings in Dundas, the Ault Store originally held the town's merchant's store, library, and newspaper office. The building is on 2nd Street on the east side of the Cannon and is the last remaining commercial building in Dundas's old commercial district. 

Church of the Holy Cross


This Episcopal church, built of locally quarried stone in Gothic style in 1868, features an old cemetery with beautiful Victorian grave art, including the graves of the Archibald family. The building, at the intersection of 2nd and East Streets, is still in operation today, currently home to Rejoice! Lutheran Church.

William Martin House

Another Greek Revival frame house, the William Martin House was built in 1869 by Martin, the treasurer of the Archibald Milling Company. The house can be found at the corner of Bridge and 1st Streets.